a solitary wanderer (adjective)
[Latin solivagus wandering alone (from soli- + vagus wandering) + English -ant — more at vagary]
- soli = plural form of solo
- vagant (≅ vagrant)
- a wanderer (archaic)
- a person without a settled home or regular work who wanders from place to place and lives by begging
soli + vagant ⇒ rambling alone: marked by solitary wanderingConsider the paired, not solitary, “wandering” (vagus) nerves, clearly not lost:
The vagus (pneumogastric) or tenth cranial nerve (CN X), due to its widespread distribution throughout the body, was labelled the “wandering nerve” by early anatomists—the longest nerve of the autonomic nervous system in the human body— it effects parasympathetic control of the heart, lungs and digestive tract.
The vagus nerve is the longest of the cranial nerve. Its name is derived from Latin meaning “wandering”. True to its name the vagus nerve wanders from the brain stem through organs in the neck, thorax and abdomen.
Solivagant is an adjective – it describes or qualifies someone or something, lost or otherwise.
Soli, the plural of going solo, is father to a family of words including: solitarian (adj), which means hermit or solitary; solitaries (n), a person who lives alone, a recluse and also used in the phrase “solitary confinement”; solitarily (adv), being, living, or going alone or without companions, or saddened by isolation; solitariness (n), the state of being alone or kept apart from others. And wanderer is itinerant people (i.e. those who wander from place to place) with no permanent home, or vagrants.
Does this gull look lost to you?
Fancy some travel, solitary et virtual?
- Solivagant Soul, the site for original solo travel.
- The Solivagant Spinster – Intermittent updates from an introvert on the road. Also: relishing obscure words, and attempting to make the word ‘spinster’ as hip as ‘bachelor’ – one blog at a time.
- The Life of a Solivagant –
- The Solivagant – “Solitude devastates me; company oppresses me. The presence of another person derails my thoughts; I dream of the other’s presence with a strange absent-mindedness that no amount of my analytical scrutiny can define.”
- Don Solivagant – Solitary Wanderer – Experience the Sights and Sounds of this wondrous planet with me !
- Solivagant gallery – Deviant Art
- Le Solivagant – Travel
- Solivagus – I, myself, have grown a crazy fondness for travel but most especially, solo traveling.
Sir all I want is a chance to amend
Past infidelities please do not send
Me far away from my wise
Me far away from my wise
Me far away from my wise Senorita
- Image pixabay